4 tips to minimize family stress
Although our families can be the source of our greatest joys, we can sometimes annoy each other. Here are some suggestions for keeping the peace.
1. Stay connected
Sometimes the cause of your stress can also be the cure.
- Many studies show that surrounding yourself with family and friends reduces stress pressure better than anything else.
- Social support makes you feel less isolated while reinforcing your sense of control, which alone can make life less intimidating.
2. Talk about it
If your family is more stressful than supportive, you need to respond. You must be honest about the situation and be clear about what you need.
- Make a family reunion and get right to the point. It could be that you need several.
- A possible ritual is a family reunion a week, during which you talk about personal and group problems, schedules and responsibilities.
3. Think about how you talk to people
Remember that the way you say things says as much as you say.
- When you talk to your loved ones, especially your spouse, about what’s bothering you, avoid bashing and using the negative.
- Studies have shown that criticizing can produce a marked increase in stress hormones. And this rarely leads to an improvement of the situation.
A better strategy is to accept your share of the stress in the household.
- Commit yourself to improve yourself and really try to do it.
- During the conversation, keep your voice low and calm, whatever the answer to your comments.
- Keep smiling and remember what your grandmother said: you do not catch flies with vinegar!
4. Try guided imagery
Go to a quiet room and practice some simple guided imagery techniques.
- Quiet thoughts are like water bubbles emanating from a source. Stressful thoughts, on the other hand, are like an overflowing flood.
- Control the water, and you’ll keep the chaos under control so that everything stays calm and serene.
- Think of the water flowing quietly for only five minutes. Imagine next to a murmuring stream and listen to the sound of the water.
- This makes the use of imagery a powerful technique for focusing thoughts on peaceful mental images and triggering the feelings that accompany it.
When it comes to family, love is not always enough. You must make the effort to ensure the satisfaction of everyone. Concentrate on what you love about each other and keep the communication open. So when a problem occurs, you can find a solution together.
Read More: how to whistle with your fingers